Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Parenting Adjustments

Warning, this next post has nothing to do w/photography & is somewhat sentimental so if this makes you uncomfortable you may stop reading now :)

I remember when they were all little & I was home all day w/them, and while it was exhausting physically it was also FUN.

Each and everyday was an adventure...whether we were making a fort, pretending the couches were "boats", or packing a lunch and going for a hike.

And then they start going to school and the most dreaded thing happens...a schedule.  And you begin to live and breathe by the clock.  But pretty soon you get used to it and then once the last kid turns 5 off they go to all day kindergarten POOF, you get your life back.  You regain your home & your day...and as long as your home by 4 you're good.

Then, just when you're getting used to it...the oldest one moves out, & the next one starts community college and POOF, all of a sudden you've got a kid home off and on again w/you during the day.  They have crazy schedules that I can never seem to completely get straight..and then as soon as I do the schedule changes. So while this is emotionally exhausting...there is also FUN in this stage too.    I love having this time w/them even if it is another adjustment.

We just got done registering Jess for classes and while I'm preparing for yet another adjustment I'm also looking ahead and trying to prepare for the next really big change of having Caleb possibly moving to Bloomington for an internship this summer.  I don't know if I'm ready to not see/talk to one of my kids on a daily basis.  All of a sudden it's hitting me how brief this time is.  It's going SO fast!!  I feel like I'm constantly having to relearn over and over again how quickly life changes & trying to appreciate the blessings of each season.  And all the while fighting the temptation to hold on too tightly to each season knowing that if I do...I'm probably missing something precious from the next season.


I find myself needing to rely more and more on my Father, needing His grace & wisdom as I'm adjusting and re-adjusting but yet knowing that no matter how many changes are happening around me, He never changes.  He is the same yesterday, today, & tomorrow and for that I am SO thankful!


No comments:

Post a Comment