Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Greece day 12 "Athens"








Today we got up and for the first time it looked like some serious rain. Not like they've been having at home but still rain. It was okay because we were going to the National Archaeological Museum this morning but we were hoping to visit the Arkopolis in the afternoon. We went ahead and had our morning drinks and devotion and then headed out to find some Crepes. We hadn't tried them yet but seen signs for them. Oh my goodness! We've been missing out. Add that to the list of food that I love here. We got 2 and shared, one sweet, one salty. The salty one had bacon, cheese, cream cheese, green pepper, & tomato. The sweet one had strawberries, white chocolate cream, & coconut. Is your mouth watering yet? So, so good. I had to quote my dad and say that I regretted that I only had one stomach to give to my mouth!!! I was a little worried about how much going out to eat would cost here but it ends up costing us about 10 euros per meal for the both of us. We don't eat out at really fancy places because they take way to long though, but the up side of that is good food, cheap & fast.

After breakfast we hit the Metro and headed to the Museum. It was just starting to sprinkle. The museum is a huge place w/3 levels of artifacts. David had a scowling competition w/one of the exhibits. It won...can you believe it? He finally met his match:) We saw many, many very old things there. Lots of them they found in the bottom of the sea after a ship that was carrying them to Athens was shipwrecked.

As we left the Museum the sun started coming out so we stopped for lunch at a cafe and decided to chance it and head to the Acropolis. It was windy but dry as we climbed up the hill to see everything there. It's crazy to think that the built that huge temple in 10 years and have been trying to renovate it for the past 20. The main crazy thing though, is that the went to all this trouble for false gods.

After the Acropolis we came down and crossed a small side street and climbed up Mars Hill. For me this was the highlight of our trip. To walk up these completely smooth steps that Paul walked up. To think that he stood in the shadow of the temple of their false gods and told them about the one True God....just so cool to be in that place. I can't even describe that feeling w/words.

It also convicts me though to look into my own life and make sure that I have no idols that I'm putting before my Jesus. It's so easy to pick stuff up and set it in front of God and let it become our god. I pray that I can always recognize those things before they take His place in my life. We just can't get so caught up in building grand things here, because none of it's gonna last.

After Mars hill we came back to our apt. and are tossing around the idea of going out to dinner. It's almost 9:00 here though so I don't know if it's worth it.

Tomorrow we hope to finish Ancient Agora and maybe just take our last day here easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment