Thursday, October 8, 2009

Greece day 7 "Santorini"








More alarm drama. I thought David had reset the alarm for 7:30 am and he thought I did. Nope. It went off at 4:30 am. I thought it was 7:30 and I look out the window toward the sea and I'm thinking, man it's dark out there. I turn on the lights and am about to tell David that it's time to get up and I glance at the clock and realize IT'S 4:30 AM!!!! So, this is how super smart I am. I think that I reset it for 7:30....now I'm a little groggy at this time (that's the only excuse I have) and I accidentally set it for 6:30!!!! So off it goes at 6:30 and I realize at that time what I did but I can see out the window that the sky is turning pink and I'm thinking, we really should get up and watch the sun rise. This is the other strange thing, I can see the sky turning pink but I'm sure that I hear rain. We haven't had one day of bad weather yet and I was bummed because we were going to Oia today. I come downstairs and open the window on the door and sure enough it's raining. Then I go back upstairs and look out the window on the opposite side and see the sky is clear and turning pinker by the minute!!! Finally it dawns on me, they've got sprinklers running!!!! Yep, I'm pretty quick at 6:30 am.

We watched the sunrise from our balcony and of course snapped some pics. It really was worth getting up for even if it was on accident:)

We had some breakfast on the deck and then as we were heading out we had a knock at the door. A nice woman w/our breakfast. Oops! I forgot that they serve you breakfast here! We packed some of it up along w/our lunch and hit the road.

Okay so Santorini is not very big. You can drive around the whole island probably in about 2 hours....if you know where you're going. We took a wrong turn and right away started heading up the side of this huge mountain. I'm not kidding we were on the side of a cliff!!!! I was laughing and terrified the whole time and poor David is navigating these hairpin turns in a stick shift, dealing w/a nearly histerical wife, AND believe it or not HUGE TOUR BUSSES COMING DOWN THE MOUNTAIN. Everytime we met up w/one we had to pull over to the side of the road....BY THE CLIFF!!!!!!!! The problem is there's not many places to turn around on a cliff, but as soon as we could we did and headed down.!

We made several wrong turns and saw lots of the island that we weren't planning on seeing today but hey, it's all beautiful no matter what day you see it on. We ended up in Oia, this is the place that's famous for pure white churches w/the round blue roofs and the sea and cliffs in the background. Yeah, we were there. We took a ton of pics. It really is some awesome scenery. They built this town right on the side of the volcanic cliffs. We walked around for a couple of hours, then found a shop that was closing for the season and made some really good deals. Most places won't bargain w/you in Greece so this was an exception. The lady and her husband (a retired sea captain) were very nice and when they heard we were buying for our 5 kids the husband went and collected a few things, one for each kid and gave them to us for free. He even made David and I these little braided bracelets for our anniversary.

We stopped at a cafe then to share a dessert and get a drink. It was very hot on the side where the wind couldn't hit but the sun was beating down and reflecting off of all the white buildings. Then we high tailed it back to our car to drop off our stuff and grab our new phone card. We had to try 4 different phones but we finally found one that worked w/that card. Luke had been waiting 2 days for our call and he answers the phone "Papa Johns Pizza"! We had 30 minutes on that card and by the time we talked to the kids it was all gone. It was good to hear their voices though. I know if we had facebook they'd be talking to us all day long but we are oldies and have only email:)

We headed home at about 3:30 but went thru a small town to do some shopping and then thought we were on the right road and ended up at a beautiful black sand beach w/huge white cliffs. We got out and took some pics by the cliffs and David caught a lizard but unfortunately, some of the people at the beach had accidentally (I'm sure) forgotten their swimsuits so that was kind of gross. It seems to happen pretty often here. Weird....that's all I'm gonna say about that.

We did eventually make it home as the sun was setting. The place that we're staying has a man that lives here full-time and he has a Siberian Husky that loves David so I took a pic of David w/Jack for the kids. He's a nice dog. We went inside and had a snack and are going to bed. It was another great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment